Postpartum thyroiditis (PPT) is a type of thyroid inflammatory condition that precipitates following childbirth. It may also occur following a spontaneous or induced abortion.
The estimated incidence is thought to be around 5-9% of postpartum women. 3.
Patient's may be either hyperthyroid or hypothyroid. Some patient may be initially hyperthyroid followed by hypothyroid. It typically precipitates during the 1st year following childbirth.
- antithyroid peroxidase (anti-TPO) antibodies: although 50% of anti-TPO positive women may not develop thyroid dysfunction
Imaging investigation of choice. There can be a variable appearance with the thyroid gland often appearing hypoechoic.
It may last from several weeks to several months. The condition is usually transient.
- 1. Adams H, Jones MC, Othman S et-al. The sonographic appearances in postpartum thyroiditis. Clin Radiol. 1992;45 (5): 311-5. Pubmed citation
- 2. Premawardhana LD, Parkes AB, Ammari F et-al. Postpartum thyroiditis and long-term thyroid status: prognostic influence of thyroid peroxidase antibodies and ultrasound echogenicity. J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 2000;85 (1): 71-5. doi:10.1210/jcem.85.1.6227 - Pubmed citation
- 3. Lazarus JH. Clinical manifestations of postpartum thyroid disease. Thyroid. 1999;9 (7): 685-9. Pubmed citation
- 4. Parkes AB, Othman S, Hall R et-al. Role of complement in the pathogenesis of postpartum thyroiditis: relationship between complement activation and disease presentation and progression. Eur. J. Endocrinol. 1995;133 (2): 210-5. Pubmed citation
- 5. Lazarus JH. Thyroid disorders associated with pregnancy: etiology, diagnosis, and management. Treat Endocrinol. 2005;4 (1): 31-41. Pubmed citation
- 6. Barca MF, Knobel M, Tomimori E et-al. Prevalence and characteristics of postpartum thyroid dysfunction in São Paulo, Brazil. Clin. Endocrinol. (Oxf). 2000;53 (1): 21-31. Pubmed citation
Related Radiopaedia articles
- thyroid inflammatory disease
- thyroid neoplasms
- thyroid nodules
assessment of thyroid lesions
- incidental thyroid nodules
ultrasound assessment of thyroid lesions
- American Thyroid Association (ATA) guidelines
- British Thyroid Association (BTA) U classification
- McGill Thyroid Nodule Score
- Society of Radiologists in Ultrasound (SRU) guidelines
- postoperative assessment after thyroid cancer surgery
- ultrasound-guided fine needle aspiration of the thyroid
- assessment of thyroid lesions