Pulmonary edema in pulmonary embolism
Pulmonary edema in pulmonary embolism has been reported to occur with both acute and chronic pulmonary emboli. It can occur via various mechanisms depending on the situation.
The overall incidence rate is reported to be around 10% of cases of pulmonary emboli 4,6.
One of the proposed mechanisms is a redirection of blood to uninvolved areas during occlusion of the pulmonary arterial bed 4. Pulmonary edema may occur irrespective of prior cardiopulmonary disease 6.
- 1. Meth RF, Taskhin DP, Hansen KS et-al. Pulmonary edema and wheezing after pulmonary embolism. Am. Rev. Respir. Dis. 1975;111 (5): 693-8. Pubmed citation
- 2. Dombert MC, Rouby JJ, Smiejan JM et-al. Pulmonary oedema during pulmonary embolism. Br J Dis Chest. 1988;81 (4): 407-10. Pubmed citation
- 3. Hyers TM, Fowler AA, Wicks AB. Focal pulmonary edema after massive pulmonary embolism. Am. Rev. Respir. Dis. 1981;123 (2): 232-3. Pubmed citation
- 4. Dähnert W. Radiology Review Manual. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. (2011) ISBN:1609139437. Read it at Google Books - Find it at Amazon
- 5. Brant WE, Helms C. Fundamentals of Diagnostic Radiology. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. ISBN:1608319121. Read it at Google Books - Find it at Amazon
- 6. Stein P. Pulmonary Embolism. Wiley-Blackwell. ISBN:1405138076. Read it at Google Books - Find it at Amazon