Abdominal foreign body: nail
Whilst cleaning an interdental space two days ago and walking down the stairs the patient accidentally swallowed a used nail. No abdominal pain.
Loading Stack -
0 images remaining
Passage of an abdominal foreign body (nail) through the GI tract.
Accidentally swallowed radiopaque foreign bodies are a quite common finding on x-rays. The anamnestic reports cover a broad misuse of everyday objects like in this case a nail for tooth cleaning.
Luckily even sharp objects passing the esophagus do not tend to perforate the bowel so that besides object extraction there is the option of natural passage.
- Carp L. FOREIGN BODIES IN THE INTESTINE. Annals of surgery. 85 (4): 575-91. Pubmed
- PELLERIN, D.; FORTIER-BEAULIEU, M.; GUEGUEN, J. The fate of swallowed foreign bodies: experience of 1250 instances of subdiaphragmatic foreign bodies in children. Prog Pediatr Radiol, 1969, 2. Jg., Nr. 2, S. 286-302.
- Webb WA. Management of foreign bodies of the upper gastrointestinal tract: update. Gastrointestinal endoscopy. 41 (1): 39-51. Pubmed