Acute appendicitis - pediatric
Right sided back pain for 4 days.
Loading Stack -
0 images remaining
The right iliac fossa was examined by ultrasound using the graded compression technique.
A thickened, incompressible appendix (>6 mm) is seen with distinct wall layers as a blind-ending tube arising from the medial aspect of the cecum.
There is also surrounding abnormally echogenic mesenteric fat.
Ileocecal lymphadenopathy is also noted.
Ultrasound is the investigation of choice in young patients being investigated for acute appendicitis.
Graded compression ultrasound is the technique used.
Findings to support the diagnosis are:
- aperistaltic, incompressible, dilated appendix (>6 mm outer diameter)
- target appearance
- periappendiceal fluid collection
- periappendiceal hyperechoic structure
- echogenic prominent pericaecal fat
- distinct appendiceal wall layers