Beta thalassemia patient with a fever. Collection?
Loading Stack -
0 images remaining
- small paravertebral soft tissue abnormalities in keeping with extramedullary hematopoiesis
- lungs clear
- hepatomegaly. The liver is diffusely hyperdense
- multiple tiny low attenuation foci in the liver, likely to represent small abscesses
- moderate splenomegaly
- multiple enlarged lymph nodes/necrotic lymph nodes in the upper abdomen, the para-aortic space, small bowel mesentery and left anterior abdomen
- small gallstones
- coarse echotexture to the bony skeleton
Fellowship exam long or viva case example of a thalassemia patient.
- extramedullary haemopoesis (typical paravertebral location)
- hyperattenuating liver from repeat blood transfusions given secondary hemochromatosis
- hepatosplenomegaly ( or splenectomy or infarcted spleen in other cases)
- coarse appearance to the bones